Wednesday 30 May 2007

Why I don't love Lost.

For those of you who live in a world without television, a series called LOST came to the UK a little while ago. The (basic) premise is that it's about a bunch of people who survive a plane crash and end up marooned on a desert island. Here's a youtube link with the first couple of minutes of season 1 for you.

As you can tell from that, this isn't exactly what you'd call run of the mill television. This show is clever, engaging and likes to use cliffhangers of a gargantuan size. So really, this is exactly the kind of show that I should love. I should be harping on about this in much the same way as I have about Battlestar Galactica & Heroes but I'm not - so what happened?

I'll admit that when Lost first arrived on the telly, I was in love. It was snappy, peppy and gave me a warm tingly feeling in my bowels. I used to get together with my housemates, put my feet up and enjoy the show, then laugh at Hilary when she would scream in annoyance at the inevitable cliffhanger at the end of the hour. I really did enjoy the first season, and I was looking forward to the second season (though the fact that nothing was ever resolved was starting to grate).

Then season two started. While I was away snowboarding for a month. I missed the first three episodes of season two, so when I tried to watch the series I was screwed. I didn't know what was going on, who some of the people were and why they weren't following directly on from season one. I felt like I'd come home and found my girlfriend in bed with the milkman - and in a completely rational decision, said fuck it and stopped watching Lost.

Which is probably a shame as I have no idea if the dog is still alive, if Merry the hobbit is still smoking heroin, and if Kate has had a hot threeway with Jack & Sawyer.

So there you go - I loved Lost, but it cheated on me and I threw it out like the evil whore that it was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often say that the only people who wouldn't get Lost are those sad, infantile moronic philistines unable to hold a decent conversation, let alone appreciate the finer points of TV.

The defence rests m'lud.

Eoin said...

The screaming continues now in more earnest than ever before.

Come back to it Joe. The second season let us all down with it's deceptive come-hiter eyes and shallow free and easy ways. (MINOR SPOILER) Locke getting shot in the chest and being left in a pit full of skeletons by a scary man who fears the big trapped invisible ghost/god thing... Season Three delivers on the cliffhangers