Tuesday 24 April 2007

Kryptonite being mined in Serbia

It appears that today there will be a couple of science related articles to be brought to your attention. I don't know why (as I have a degree in colouring in), but I'm vaguely interested in science geekiness, and have been for a while.

Anyway, this story is the one that the title's referring to. A mine in Serbia has found Kryptonite. No, really - this is one of those cosmic coincidence thingys. Basically, they've found a new mineral, and while researching it they found that the chemical composition of this new mineral has been used as the composition of Kryptonite. Sadly, according to the rules on how new elements are named, they won't officially be able to call it kryptonite, as to do that it would need to be related to krypton (which is real, and is on the periodic table). So they're going to name it Jadarite instead. What a crappy name.

Frustratingly, the stuff that they've dug out of the mine doesn't even glow green. I swear, science is just not rewarding me with the faith I put in it.

No comments: