Monday 20 August 2007

It's science jim, but not as we know it

Here's one for you - an American court has ordered that six people get paid a million dollars a piece by the state of Iowa. Now, normally I wouldn't mention this as it's a civil court case, it's American (and let's face it - the average American sues more often than most normal people blink) but this case is a bit special.

Back in 1939, these people were in the care of the state and became part of a scientific study by Dr Wendell Johnson. This study was to determine if being shouted at would make kids more likely to develop a speech impediment. So this meant that this kids were berated at every opportunity for six months.

I'll repeat this - to see if treating kids like shit fucked them up, they treated kids like shit. Unsurprisingly, the kids became fucked up. But they didn't stutter. Sheesh. So for all those budding scientists out here - I will provide you with conclusions to the following so that you don't have to perform the studies.

If you kick someone in the balls, it hurts.
If you staple someone's eyes shut, they can't see.
If you glue someone's feet to the floor, they can't move.

I'm all for the advancement of science, but I don't think that researching the bloody obvious is what I'd call legitimate science. Also, the kid who's feet I glued to the floor cried really loud.

No comments: