Monday 20 August 2007

Catholaschism wow!

A little bit of religorage for you here folks.

Amnesty International have caused a furor amongst Christian aid groups by ending years of ducking questions about what they think about Abortions. They've come out and said that in cases of rape or incest - they're in favour of allowing women to have abortions.

The Roman Catholic Church doesn't like this statement
, and have threatened to withdraw their support for the organisation. Yes, that's right - another instance of the Roman Catholic Church being fucking crazy. I mean, even if you were to ignore the church's recent history of abusing children it seems somewhat out there to me for anyone to be telling a woman who's been raped that she has to keep the byproduct of this brutal attack, and live with it every day of her life. Surely that's just bound to create a psychotic mother and a scarred child? How is that good for anyone?

But I guess this leads neatly into the whole abortion debate. Now for those of you who are unfamiliar with the way abortion is treated in the UK, I'll tell you this - it isn't an issue. Unlike America or Ireland or any number of countries you'd care to mention who are for the most part sensible but go a little loopy whenever a bit of womb tampering is mentioned - the UK doesn't care. Abortion is legal, and that's that. No landmark law cases, no politicians using banning abortion as a part of their political campaign.

So I guess at this point I should say that I'm pro-abortion. Not pro-choice - pro-abortion. I love abortion! I just can't get enough. I phone up abortion doctors and encourage them to work longer hours; I hand out condoms with holes in 'em at high schools. Hell, I even go to pre-natal clinics with banners and leaflets about how children ruin your fucking life. In terms of the law - I think we've got it wrong, we shouldn't look at restricting abortions, we should encourage them - women should get a free pair of trainers and a bottle of wine with every abortion done.

Alright, so I don't really - but let's face it - it's as rational a response as expecting a woman who was raped to give birth to the progeny of that rape.

Yes, I know I'm going to hell. Join me there.

No comments: