Thursday 25 October 2007

Weekend away

Well actually, it was more of a long weekend seeing as I set off on Thursday.

I adventured all the way over to London to visit some old friends and do some touristy stuff. I drank a load of booze and ate a load of pizza. It was good fun all in all, and nice to meet up with people I hadn't seen for a while. Though rather typically for me, it was all sorted in a rather last minute kind of way, and a couple of people couldn't make it because they didn't get quite enough notice.

So now that I've bored you with that tidbit, I will now entertain you with the touristy fun that I had. I pottered around Covent Garden for a bit, which was exactly the same as ever, but then I went to Tate Modern and looked at a crack in the ground. Alright, so it's actually an installation piece called Shibboleth - anyway. As seems to be the way these days, I find myself more interested in the public's reaction to the art than the art itself, and Shibboleth more than ever draws that out of me. The piece is a huge crack the length of the turbine hall, and so you get people all the way down looking into the crack, peering into it, standing astride it, trying to work out how it's done. So I start to wonder - is the art the work, or the people who encircle it like moths around a lightbulb.

I also went to the National Museum to see the Terracotta army show, but it was sold out of tickets. So I wandered round the souvenir shop's section of minature terrcotta copies on my knees. Probably the same experience.

No comments: