Monday 30 July 2007

Where I have been

So I haven't posted anything on here for about 2 weeks. That's because I have been away for 2 weeks.

I booked the leave in order to go to north Devon, watch the Fat Face Night Air event, and catch up with some of my friends in the world of mountainboarding. The fact that I have a shiny new surfboard, and that north Devon has some very nice surfing beaches wasn't anything to do with it (ok, it had quite a lot to do with it).

When I arrived at the competition venue on the Tuesday afternoon, I found it all strangely deserted, and was told that some people were over at Ivyleaf mountainboard centre. As it was only half an hour away, I jumped back in the car and headed on down. When I got there, I got to meet up with some old friends from 2 mountainboard teams - Trampa & the BFC. All very lovely people. After a couple of days there (which included taking the BFC surfing) I headed to SWMBC to watch the event. Despite the rather dodgy weather the event was a lot of fun, and I got to meet up with a lot of old friends that I hadn't seen for a while (many of whom didn't recognise me now I'm not a ball of stress & rage).

While I was there, one of the people I was going to spend the next week with had the temerity to up and break her forearm rather badly (managing to snap both the radial & pirelli bones) so had to be shipped off to Barnstaple hospital. It made for an interesting few days where we spent mornings surfing, and afternoons visiting Kerry in hospital while she waited patiently for the surgeons to use some meccano to stick her arm back together.

Once she was released, we drove down to Gwithian sands and after depositing Kerry at her sister's we pitched up a tent in a very nice family run campsite. After a week of living in a field with a portaloo and a stoptap being the extent of the facilities, it was very nice to have hot showers, plumbed toilets and electricity readily available. I was also able to continue my surfing adventure, and also managed to get some more mountainboarders to give it a try.

So there you go - 2 weeks, 4 breaks surfed, 8 mountainboarders dragged surfing with me, 2 bones broken, and 12 screws placed in one arm. All in all, a really fun 2 weeks.

Oh - I also tried Pimms for the first time. Apparently this means I am now officially middle class.

No comments: