Saturday 8 March 2008

Good morning Norway

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything, but I've been away snowboarding (more on that later).

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say good morning to the people of Longyearbyen in the Spitsbergen region of Norway. Longyearbyen is the most northerly town in the world, and today is their first day of sunshine since October.

I'll leave the last words to local resident Mary Ann Dahle - "It feels good when the light starts to come back, the darkness can be very depressing."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to some Finnish girl, who said that it wasn't the darkness that drove them mad, but the light in the summer. It's a no-win situation for these Scandinavian folk. Nevertheless, I wish I was one of them, and always have; ever since I saw a video about Sweden when I was a little boy. Just thought you might like to know that.